Midseason football means important football.
At the high school level, midseason brings us rivalries, homecomings and games that can determine playoff seeding.
Here are five games this Friday (Sept. 27) in Gwinnett County to keep an eye on:
1. Dacula at Archer: What, really? Yep. The winner of this game will be alone in first place in Region 8-AAAAAA, something few people could've guessed before the season started for these two teams. Archer has had an impressive 4-0 start.
2. Lanier at Monroe Area: Lanier, Gwinnett's newest football-playing public school, has broken out with a 4-0 record to start its second full varsity season. Monroe Area, also 4-0, is state-ranked and a 2012 state semifinalist. The winner takes command of Region 8-AAAA.
3. Parkview at Brookwood: It doesn't matter that both are winless heading into the Battle of Five Forks-Trickum, because Gwinnett's fiercest football rivalry will still draw attention, and a big crowd, too. Still, a combined 0-7? Who have thunk that?
4. Mill Creek at Norcross: This is one that will ultimately impact playoff seeding. Both teams seem destined for the postseason. It's just a matter of how they'll be seeded. Both are 1-1 in Region 7-AAAAAA.
5. Shiloh at Grayson: Can Shiloh (3-1) beat Grayson for the first time in nine seasons? It's clear the Generals can confidently say they're playoff contenders. Grayson (1-3) is off to its worst start in seven season, but a win this week gets the Rams back into the region race.
- High School Football Schedule in NE Georgia, Sept. 27
- NE Georgia High School Football Scores, Sept. 20