The teachers were chosen by their colleagues. In Norcross, the winners are:
- Norcross ES -- Melissa Benedict, kindergarten teacher
- Peachtree ES -- Crystal Youmans, third-grade teacher
- Simpson ES -- Stacey Dunlap, media specialist
- Stripling ES -- Julie Frick, literacy coach (grades 1-3)
- Pinckneyville MS -- Karen Wilson, language arts teacher (grade 8)
- Summerour MS -- Carol Williams, mathematics teacher (grade 6)
- Norcross HS -- Linda Katz, AP language and composition/ American literature teacher (grade 10)
Other Cluster Schools:
- Meadowcreek ES -- Stacie Coppola, mathematics and literacy instructional Coach (grades K-5)
- Rockbridge ES -- Makenzie Ramey, kindergarten teacher
- Meadowcreek HS -- Marietta Malone, AP and gifted language arts teacher (grade 12)
Now, the teachers move on to the next part of the competition where the district will narrow down the list to 25 semifinalists.
Six finalists will be named in October, and then the Gwinnett Teacher of the Year will be named in November.
"It is an honor to be recognized by your colleagues," said Nikki Mouton, executive director of staff development, in a press release. "It suggests their recognition of the efforts of our teachers on a larger scale — with their students, with adults, with parents, and the community at large."