Meet the candidates for Norcross City Council.
The Norcross City Council Candidates' Forum is scheduled to be held Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012, from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Norcross Cultural Arts and Community Center.
There are three City Council posts up for election on the November ballot. Council members serve two-year terms.
Arlene Beckles is challenging David McLeroy. Beckles, an “ultra-volunteer” and resident of Norcross for nine years, is involved in a number of city organizations, including: the Norcross Arts Alliance, the Norcross Police Department Foundation, Safe Routes to School and more. She is running for office for the first time.
McLeroy, a longtime Norcross resident, is also the longest serving council member, having been on the council for five terms, 10 years.
Keith Shewbert is running against incumbent Ross Kaul. Shewbert, a 15-year resident of Norcross, was previously a city councilman from 2006 to 2008. He owns 45 South Cafe in downtown Norcross and recently purchased Chocolate Perks in Duluth. He is also on the board of the Gwinnett Village CID, which he helped found. And he ran for State House District 96 in 2008.
Kaul has been on the council for two terms, or four years. He is retired after 37 years in the metal steel business.
Mayor Pro Tem Andrew Hixson runs unopposed. Hixson has served on the council for two terms, or four years. He is a banker and has lived in Norcross for eight years.
Here’s how the forum will go:
· Introductions (order decided by coin toss)
· Opening statements from each candidate (2 minutes each)
· Candidate responses to pre-determined questions (1 minute each)
· Candidate responses to questions from the audience (1 minute each)
· Closing statements from each candidate (2 minutes each)
Got a question for the candidates? Email it to Gordon Tomlinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What would you like to know from the candidates? Tell us in the comments below.
- Running for Norcross City Council: David McLeroy
- Running for Norcross City Council: Arlene Beckles
- Running for Norcross City Council: Keith Shewbert
- Who Qualified for the Norcross City Council Race?
- Norcross Councilman, Mayor Pro Tem to Seek Re-Election
Stay tuned to Patch for more election coverage.