Police showed up at 4585 Midridge Drive in unincorporated Norcross to arrest 25-year-old Chezare Haynes, who immediately fled police in a nearby vehicle.
In a Sept. 5 press release, police said:
"As Mr. Haynes fled from the house in the car, he drove over stop sticks and narrowly hit an officer. When this happened, officers shot at the vehicle striking it several times. Mr. Haynes did not stop and continued to flee from the scene."
Haynes eventually abandoned the vehicle at Brentwood Down Apartments on Pleasant Hill Road in Lilburn.
There were no injuries reported, and "it’s believed that Mr. Haynes was not hit by any of the gunfire," said Cpl. Edwin Ritter, in the press release.
The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave. Police are still searching for the suspect.
He’s currently wanted for the following offenses stemming from unrelated incidents:
- Two counts of fleeing and or attempting to elude a police officer (felony)
- One count of obstruction (misdemeanor)
- Three counts of reckless driving (misdemeanor)
- Two counts of driving on a suspended license (misdemeanor)
- One count of giving a false name/date of birth/address to law enforcement (misdemeanor)
- Two counts of probation violation/possession of a firearm by convicted felon (felony)
- One count of hit and run (misdemeanor)
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Chezare Haynes is urged to contact Gwinnett County Police at 770-513-5300 or 911.