When a Peachtree Corners home caught fire Sunday evening, fortunately a quick-thinking neighbor saw the smoke coming from a nearby house and called the Gwinnett County Fire Deparement.
"The caller reported smoke coming from the roof of the home," said Capt. Tommy Rutledge, Gwinnett Fire Department spokesman. Rutledge said the home is located on the 3500 block of Corners Way.
When crews arrived shortly before 7 p.m., they "found smoke and flames showing from a second floor bathroom and fire burning in the attic," he said.
According to the report, the fire caused extensive damage to the bathroom and a portion of the roof and attic, but there were no injuries.
The owners returned home after getting a call from their neighbor. They told firefighters they had been doing some "minor plumbing work on the bathroom prior to leaving for a trip to the store."
According to the fire department, the blaze appears accidental and started in the second floor bathroom, then advanced to the attic and roof.
Rutledge said the homeowners were not able to stay in the home due to the damage from the fire. They did not seek assistance from the Red Cross.