Gwinnett County firefighters reported an incident at then 1200 block of Sparrows Lane in Norcross on Sept. 21. They were dispatched 5:51 p.m., and the fire was under control at approximately 6:06 p.m.
Here is information from a press release:
Crews found flames showing from the bedroom of a ground floor apartment
unit of a two-three split apartment building. The building was in the
process of evacuation when the fire department arrived and no injuries
Initial fire crews deployed hose lines and made an aggressive interior
attack on the fire. The blaze was quickly contained to the back bedroom
of a single apartment unit. Firefighters found no extension past the
room of origin. The fire caused moderate damage to the room and sent
smoke and heat throughout the unit. A vacant bottom floor apartment
sustained minor water damage due to firefighting efforts.
The cause of the fire appears accidental and was sparked by a candle that was burning in a child's bedroom.
Occupants in adjoining apartments were able to return once the fire was
declared under control. The Red Cross was contacted to assist one
family (2-adults and 3-children) displaced by the damage.