Gwinnett County firefighters responded to an incident at the 4200 block of Crestside Ridge Monday at 12:43 p.m.
Crews entered the two-story residence and located a mattress and bedding fire in the second floor bedroom. Firefighters contained the fire to the room of origin and quickly extinguished the blaze. The fire caused significant damage to the room and sent smoke through the second floor.
An investigation revealed a child who was playing with matches in the bedroom sparked the blaze. A teenager was baby-sitting two younger siblings at the residence and was alerted by the smell of smoke, according to a report from the Gwinnett County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.
The children initially attempted to douse the flames before evacuating. No injuries were reported.
"Firefighters urge parents and caregivers to keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children," Spokesman Captain Tommy Rutledge said in a statement. "Children should be taught that matches and lighters are tools, not toys, and should not be played with."