Norcross drivers, if you're headed through Spaghetti Junction this Labor Day weekend, keep both hands on the wheel.
Metro Atlanta drivers are almost 30 percent more likely to get into an accident than the national average, according to a study released by Allstate Insurance.
The report ranks Atlanta 164th on its list comparing accident records of the nation's 200 biggest cities. The average Atlanta driver is in an accident every 7.7 years.
The city with the best drivers, according to the report, is Fort Collins, Colorado, with an average of 13.9 years between collisions.
Allstate offers these tips to help you keep safe:
- Leave plenty of time to get where you're going, so a traffic jam or accident doesn't throw you off.
- Research what's going on in the city that might increase traffic, like a big game or festival.
- Get directions ahead of time -- and don't look at them while you're driving.
Small town and suburban driving
- Keep an eye on the speed limit; it can be higher in less populated areas (and then suddenly lower, too).
- . There might be fewer safe places to cross the street in smaller communities.
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles, especially the big ones.
Do you consider yourself a safe driver? What are your best/worst habits? Tell us in the comments.