Gwinnett Football Game of the Week
The rivalry has been one-sided in Norcross' favor the last two decades. Norcross has won eight in a row over the Wildcats, and 15 of the last 17 meetings.
But that hasn't always been the case. There wasn't a more even rivalry in Gwinnett in the 70s and 80s — the teams split 20 games 9-9-2 from 1970 to '89.
Norcross, ranked No. 3 in Class AAAAAA and coming off last week's big 31-21 win at North Gwinnett, looks to be the better team. The Blue Devils are playing well in all areas and could very be the best team in Gwinnett.
Norcross would be wise to not overlook the Wildcats, who were in both of their losses, including last week's 28-21 loss to Peachtree Ridge. Duluth can score and a couple of plays going its way could make the Blue Devils nervous.
But still, Norcross should handle this one easily.
PREDICTION: Norcross 33, Duluth 17
Other game predictions
Last week's record: 8-5 (Overall 23-15)
- Brookstone (2-0) at Wesleyan (2-1): Wesleyan has won its last two games, scoring a combined 68 points. Brookstone's two opponents have a combined record of 0-5. Wesleyan 34, Brookstone 17
- Central Gwinnett (2-0) at Berkmar (1-2): This is the Region 8-AAAAAA opener for Central Gwinnett, which has a great passing duo in Eman Westmoreland and Justin Brownlee. Berkmar can play with the Black Knights, but for how long? Central 30, Berkmar 17
- Dacula (0-3) at Grayson (2-1): The Rams of Grayson don't intend to lose again this season after last week's 22-7 defeat at Parkview. That could lead to Dacula's first 0-4 start in 10 years. Grayson 28, Dacula 12
- Greater Atlanta Christian (3-1) at Howard School, Tenn. (1-3): Gotta give credit to Howard's nickname — the Hustlin' Tigers. But the credit doesn't translate on the scoreboard. GAC's trip to Chattanooga is a good one. GAC 34, Howard 20
- Habersham Central (0-3) at Mountain View (1-2): Both teams are coming off shut-out blowout losses (Mountain View 49-0 to Mill Creek; Habersham Central 52-0 to Collins Hill). Mountain View 24, Habersham Central 23
- Madison County (0-3) at Lanier (2-1): The Longhorns are on a two-game winning streak in their first full varsity season. Make it three in a row. Lanier 23, Madison County 7
- Mill Creek (2-1) at Peachtree Ridge (1-2): This could end up being an important game in determing the playoff order in 7-AAAAAA. Peachtree Ridge, state-ranked to begin the season, beat Duluth 28-21 to avoid an 0-3 start and have many important games ahead. Mill Creek, with two shutout wins and a close loss to Brookwood, has three of its next four games against 2011 playoff teams, including this one. Mill Creek 27, Peachtree Ridge 20
- North Gwinnett (2-1) at Meadowcreek (0-3): Meadowcreek has had two weeks to prepare for the state-ranked Bulldogs, but that won't end the Mustangs' 40-game losing streak. North Gwinnett 40, Meadowcreek 6
- Parkview (2-1) at Archer (2-1): Playoff implications abound in this Region 8-AAAAAA game. Question: How will Parkview play after last week's big win over Grayson and with its starting quarterback out with a broken collarbone? Archer can show it's for real with another big win over Parkview. Archer beat the Panthers last season with a playoff berth on the line. But Parkview's win over Grayson is too big to overlook. Parkview 17, Archer 14
- St. Francis (0-4) at Hebron Christian (1-1): Hebron has been in two shutouts — a 42-0 loss to Lakeview Academy and a 60-0 win over Cross Keys. Chances of another shutout? Better than the chance of rain Friday, which is zero, says the Weather Channel. We like streaks around here. Hebron Christian 24, St. Francis 0
- Shiloh (3-0) at South Gwinnett (2-1): This Battle of Snellville has some importance in the standings. Both teams are 1-0 in 8-AAAAAA and could get a boost of confidence with a win. Shiloh can go 4-0 for the first time since 1991. South, on a two-game winning streak, is probably better than the credit given. South Gwinnett 28, Shiloh 20
Note: Some statistical information in this report was gathered from records on the Georgia High School Football Historians Association website.
Read more about Gwinnett Football
- Should Grayson have been knocked out of Top 10?
- Parkview knocks off top-ranked Rams
- Gwinnett Football Scoreboard, Sept. 14
- Central's Dynamic Duo
- Gwinnett Football Predictions, Sept. 14