Opening Reception Sunday for Baseball Museum
The welcome center is officially unveiling the Norcross Baseball Museum this Sunday.
After a Saturday filled with St. Patrick's Day festivities, head over to the welcome center Sunday for an opening reception on the Norcross Baseball Museum and History Room.
The baseball museum, which used to be at city hall, has a new home in the welcome center with all its old favorites, in addition to some new items. Check out the old city uniforms, the bat and glove used to win the 1987 Dixie Youth Baseball World Series, and more.
New information panels, which were compiled by graduate students from Kennesaw State University, local historians Edie Riehm and Gene Ramsey, and Welcome Center Coordinator (and newly appointed Downtown Manager) Cate Kitchen, have been added to give the exhibit a "museum" feel by telling the story of Norcross baseball.
At Sunday's reception, expect to see as many as 25 retired baseball players, as well as members from Norcross' Old Timers Baseball Association. Carl Garner Jr., who played first baseman for the high school and town teams from 1954 to 1959, will be at the opening. Kitchen refered to him as the "keeper of the artifacts" since most of the baseball items in the museum wouldn't be there without him.
Retired players such as Troyce Cofer, Wayne Lyle, James Johnson and Jimmy Copeland may be in attendance to tell some ball stories, too.
The history exhibit also had a new facelift, too, so be sure to check out the 140-plus years of Norcross history that's been captured.
The opening reception for both exhibits will start 2 p.m. Sunday at the Norcross Welcome Center at 10 College Street. Traditional baseball food such as peanuts and Cracker Jacks will be available.