Maxwell Ratings Predict Norcross Will Win Championship Game
The computer ratings say the Blue Devils will end the game with 9 points in the lead.
Posted in the Georgia High School Football Daily newsletter, Maxwell Ratings predict the Blue Devils will win Saturday's game against Lovejoy High (13-1) by 9 points.
The newsletter continued with a few quick facts about the teams:
- Norcross is the No. 1 seed from 7-AAAAAA and ranked No. 3, and Lovejoy is the No. 1 seed from 2-AAAAAA and ranked No. 7.
- Both teams have 2,000-yard rushers and 2,000-yard passes.
- The lead defense player for Lovejoy is Nathaniel Norwood, who has 16.5 sacks, and Lorenzo Carter leads Norcross with his 18 sacks.
- Both head coaches for the schools are in their 17th seasons, and neither they nor their schools have won a state title.
Bill Bryant, the man who's been behind the offensive stats for Norcross High since 1981 and a former Gwinnett solicitor, said he's "optimistic, not overconfident" when it comes to Norcross winning the title since the Big Blue has never played the Wildcats.
He did say, though, that this year's team is the best Norcross has ever had.
"We've had some good teams in the past, but this team has been really great," Bryant told Patch. "We've never had a team to play the state championship before." The farthest Norcross has ever made it was the quarterfinals, he added.
The Class AAAAAA Championship game of Norcross v. Lovejoy starts at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. For ticket information, click here.
The Maxwell Ratings are the work of Loren Maxwell, a co-founder of the Georgia High School Football Historian Association. Maxwell has been involved in sports ratings since 1986.
- Blue Devils Championship Tickets on Sale at NHS
- Norcross High Projected to Win Football Title
- Blue Devils Quarterfinals Stats: Norcross v. Camden Co.
- Viewfinder: Norcross HS Semifinals Game
- Blue Devils Semifinals Stats: NHS vs. Colquitt